Screening and Prevention of Sickle Cell Disease

People who do not know whether they carry an abnormal hemoglobin gene can ask their doctor to have their blood tested.

Couples who are planning to have children and know that they are at risk of having a child with sickle cell disease (SCD) may want to meet with a genetics counselor. A genetics counselor can answer questions about the risk and explain the choices that are available.


Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health.